The August 2014 issue of our journal is now available to subscribers through the MmIT Journal Current Issues page on our CILIP website. You will need to log in to access this content.
MmIT Journal August 2014
Cover image: © Tale | Dreamstime.com – Concept For Inspiration
· News: Outdoor digital bookshelf using QR codes
· MMIT Group’s annual conference ‘Sight and Sound’ – keynote speakers
· BFI News:
· A Farewell to Arms
· SciFi: The Changes
· Product review: Kingsoft Office Suite Professional 2013
· Book review: Web Metrics for Library and Information Professionals
· Trends in elearning technologies worldwide
· Elearning via videconference in schools
· Elearning using online games
· Museums: technology early adopters
· Museums: digitisation
· Creating digital stories in libraries
· Managing data in higher education
· Preview of Internet Librarian International conference 2014
· Kobo Arc 10 HD tablet
· Bose QuietComfort headphones
· BioLite CampStove
· UP! Plus 2, a 3D printer
· HaierPad tablets
While you’re making your way to Sheffield for our annual conference, which starts tomorrow, have a look through our final programme to choose your workshop sessions.
Our keynote speakers include Dr. Graham McElearney (The University of Sheffield), Liz McGettigan (SOLUS), and Richard Ranft (British Library). If you’ve registered for the conference dinner, you’ll also be treated to a speech by Tony Thompson, one of our founding members.
Safe travels, and we look forward to meeting you tomorrow!
Our Scottish counterparts, MmITS, have a generous bursary of up to £600 on offer. The theme of our annual conference, ‘Sound and Vision in Librarianship: Going Beyond Words and Pictures’, is directly related to the bursary theme of “technology within the Library and Information sector”, as it addresses the implications and practices of producing, managing and curating audio and video materials in the digital age.
Delegates will engage in a series of workshops and seminars on sound and vision themes and the conference will also showcase current research and innovations in these areas through lightning sessions and presentations from researching practitioners.
This bursary will sponsor one individual to attend a course, training or conference of their choice in 2014, relating to the themes of technology within the Library and Information Sector (up to £600 only).
To be eligible for a MmITS bursary you must:
- Be based in Scotland
- Be working within the Library and Information Sector for between 5-20 years
- Must use, or want to use, technology within your role
- Must not have received any MmITS funding in the past 3 years
The application form is now live online. You don’t need to be a member of MmITS to apply for the bursary, but why not take this opportunity to join? The deadline is 29 August, so send in your application today.
We look forward to welcoming you to Sheffield.
It’s not too late to register for the MmIT annual conference, 11-12 September 2014, in Sheffield.
We’re delighted to provide the abstracts for our keynote lectures and all of the parallel workshop sessions.
Register your place now on EventBrite.
We look forward to welcoming you to Sheffield!
Cover image: © Theodor38 | Dreamstime Stock Photos
MmIT group members and journal subscribers can now read the latest issue of our journal.
MmIT Journal May 2014
News: MmIT Group’s annual conference ‘Sight and Sound’ (11-12 September 2014, Sheffield)
· Free images of New Zealand, online audio stories from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
· The Werner Herzog Collection
· Alain Robbe-Grillet. Six Films 1963-1974
· The Driving Force, from the BFI’s British Transport Films Collection
· Product review: Plustek SmartOffice SC8016U Scanner
· Product review: Impactology Impact Trio for iPhone 5
· GPS & wearable devices
· Making audio engaging
· Effective e-moderation
· Design of digital libraries
· BoB – national TV and radio recording service
· Jisc’s summer of student innovation in FE and HE
· Snap together modular smartphones, Project Ara
· WiFi in the sky
· Securing your mobile world
– See more at: http://www.cilip.org.uk/multimedia-information-and-technology-group/mmit-journal/mmit-journal-current-issues#sthash.2Q9WFEDY.dpuf
We have produced a special issue on Digitisation which brings together articles on the subject from the journal published since 2011. This covers aspects such as archives, collections, digitisation, preservation and scanners.
Download or view it today on the Cilip website using your usual log in details.
- The “Digitisation Doctor”: addressing the digitisation divide, August 2013 (Vol 39, No 3)
- The Institution of Civil Engineers launches online image library, August 2013 (Vol 39, No 3)
- Digimap: feeding the demand for maps & geospatial data, August 2013 (Vol 39, No 3)
- Bringing the history of Paris alive with 3D visualisation, August 2013 (Vol 39, No 3)
- The Victoria & Albert Museum (V&A) takes to the digital stage, May 2013 (Vol 39, No 2)
- Creating a digital archive for the Rothschild Reserves, Nov 2012 (Vol 38, No 4)
- Opening up historical collections with Historypin, Nov 2012 (Vol 38, No 4)
- Book Review: Collection Development in the Digital Age, Aug 2012 (Vol 38, No 3)
- Product Review: Plustek Optic Film 8100 Film Scanner, Aug 2012 (Vol 38, No 3)
- Augmented reality: is it really fit for your purposes? Aug 2012 (Vol 38, No 3)
- British Newspaper Archive digitisation project, Aug 2012 (Vol 38, No 3)
- Book Review: Collection Development in the Digital Age, Feb 2012 (Vol 38, No 2)
- Product Review: Plustek SmartOffice PS286 Plus scanner, Feb 2012 (Vol 38, No 2)
- Book Review: Virtual Interface Design for Digital Cultural Heritage, Nov 2011 (Vol 37, No 4)
- Image processing: intensely complex but vitally important, Nov 2011 (Vol 37, No 4)
- News: Rothschild Foundation archive, Aug 2011 (Vol 37, No 3)
- News: Axiell CALM collection management system, Aug 2011 (Vol 37, No 3)
- Augmenting reality at the Natural History Museum, Aug 2011 (Vol 37, No 3)
- News: digital preservation project, May 2011 (Vol 37, No 2)
- Book Review: Preparing Collections for Digitization, May 2011 (Vol 37, No 2)
- News: 1914-18 archive alliance, Feb 2011 (Vol 37, No 1)
- Book Review: The Future of Archives and Recordkeeping, Feb 2011 (Vol 37, No 1)
- Accessing collections through online exhibitions, Feb 2011 (Vol 37, No 1)
- Bluff your way in image management, Feb 2011 (Vol 37, No 1)
- Planets Project: preserving delicate digital materials, Feb 2011 (Vol 37, No 1).
Coming up in the journal in 2014 – May: Focus on mobile in libraries